- Salary: £38,250 – £41, 625 on appointment with potential for growth over time
- Contract Type: Offered initially as a 12 month contract with expectation of extension
- Hours: Full Time (typically 09.30-17.30 but with flexibility)
- Responsible To: Operations Director
- Responsible for: Marketing & Communications Manager, Media Manager
- Application Deadline: 9am on Monday 11th January 2021
- Interviews: w/c 18th January and w/c 25th January 2021
About Hatch Enterprise
At Hatch, we are committed to building a fairer society by supporting diverse and impact founders into business. We offer world-class support to entrepreneurs, mainly through our courses and workshops.
Since 2014, we’ve grown our revenue to £600K, something that takes the average social enterprise fifteen years. Now we’re looking at our next big milestones: Passing the million turnover mark, and 10X’ing our impact. We want to do this by 2025. This is a deliberately ambitious target – we like that it scares us a bit!
We’re not typical of the charity sector. As you would expect from a charity focused on teaching start-up skills, we think and act like a business. Our programmes are run by entrepreneurs, for entrepreneurs.
In the last seven years, we’ve worked with over 3,500 diverse and impact founders and we want to do even more in the next five years. To support our founders, we have built a diverse network of partners, funders and investors who share our vision.
Hatch is an organisation that loves experimentation and trying things out. We practice open-book management and strategic decisions are made collaboratively so we can fully draw on the knowledge, skills and networks we have. We are influenced by lean management philosophy and we are constantly looking for ways to improve and innovate in our programmes and in the way that we work.
We are a small organisation with big ambitions to grow, offering the right candidate a great opportunity for personal and professional growth.
Head of Communications and Marketing
This is a unique opportunity to help build public engagement with our work and generate income for the charity, while promoting and recruiting entrepreneurs to our programmes. It comes at an exciting time in the development of our ambitious five-year strategy.
This role combines marketing, communications and also connects closely to our fundraising. You will be devising strategies and delivering campaigns to recruit founders to our programmes, to engage funders, supporters and partners in our work and to promote Hatch and the impact we are achieving in a variety of contexts.
We have ambitious goals to develop our role and influence as innovators and thought leaders in the enterprise support space, and to leverage the reach and scale of our growing community of founders, funders, partners and collaborators. This role will lead on honing and delivering against those ambitions.
Communications and Marketing Strategy
- Developing and owning Hatch digital communications and marketing strategy, including setting metrics and budgets
- Identifying Hatch key target audiences, and developing a case for support and engagement strategy for each target audience
- Developing and maintaining Hatch branding, visual identity guidelines, brand materials and templates and making them accessible to the whole team
- Developing and owning Hatch brand personality, tone of voice and language and ensuring it’s in consistent use across the whole Hatch team
- Building brand awareness for Hatch. Creating targeted content and tools to reach our key target audiences and supporting the team to do the same
Comms and marketing materials
- Creating online and offline content, including user generated content, and the promotion of that content in line with strategic priorities
- Developing content and overseeing design for Hatch’s Impact Report, Corporate Brochure and other online and print materials
- Overseeing the development of case study, video and photographic content to promote Hatch and the founders we support, liaising with the programmes team
- Overseeing the development and maintenance of a Hatch media and materials library including video and photographic content, print and other materials
- Setting targets, implementing and tracking metrics across all channels and campaigns. Collecting and analysing relevant data
- Implementing data-led changes to improve communications and campaigns performance
Management and Coaching
- Managing and coaching the communications team
- Leading the marketing and communications function across Hatch, including identifying and working with colleagues to identify marketing and communications opportunities within other areas of the organisation.
- Training and coaching colleagues to ensure the whole Hatch team is informed and engaged with the use in practice of all our branding, communications and marketing strategies and tools.
- Other duties that may be required from time to time as part of a small, dynamic team
- Demonstrable experience designing, delivering and measuring the results of digital marketing strategies and campaigns
- An all rounder, able to develop a big picture strategy and deliver on the details
- Experience leading a marketing or communications team, own business or product line
- Project management skills
- Problem-solving ability, including metrics-driven thinking
- Interpersonal team working skills
- Creative, innovative and cutting edge, ready to bring and to work with bold ideas
- Entrepreneurial, not afraid to shoot for the stars, make mistakes and learn along the way
We care about our people and giving them the things they need to succeed.
We have always been supportive of flexible working, which has become even more important in 2020. We have a cheerful, plant-filled office in Elephant & Castle, where everyone gets a desktop Mac and a good chair. For those working at home, we’ll make sure you have the kit you need to work comfortably. Although we can’t afford to pay you like the private sector, we offer a generous holiday allowance (29 days plus bank holidays) and an annual learning & development budget.
We believe business can be a force for good. Our mission is to increase diversity among business owners – and we want to do the same for our team. We hire great people from a variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes Hatch stronger. We are committed to representing a wider cross-section of society than a typical start-up, and we know that means we need to understand and accommodate different people’s needs. If you’ve read this far, and you like the sound of the job, but you’re not sure if you quite meet the requirements – we’d love it if you gave yourself a chance and applied anyway.
Please email us your CV and a cover letter of no more than 1000 words explaining:
- What excites you about Hatch as an organisation and about this role in particular?
- What stands out to you about Hatch from our website alone?
- What would do in this role that would really make an impact?
Send these to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Head of Marketing and Communications Application” as the email subject line by 9am on Monday 11th January 2021.
If you have any questions or need any help with your application, please drop us a line at email@example.com. (Recruiters will be politely turned away).