Salary: £30 000 – £35, 000
Contract Type: Offered initially as a 12 month contract with expectation of extension
Hours: Full Time (typically 09.30-17.30 but with flexibility)
Responsible To: Operations Director
Application Deadline: 9am on Monday 26th October 2020
ABOUT HATCH ENTERPRISE
At Hatch, we are committed to building a fairer society by supporting diverse and impact founders into business. We offer world-class support to entrepreneurs, mainly through our courses and workshops.
Since 2014, we’ve grown our revenue to £600K, something that takes the average social enterprise fifteen years. Now we’re looking at our next big milestones: Passing the million turnover mark, and 10X’ing our impact. We want to do this by 2025. This is a deliberately ambitious target – we like that it scares us a bit!
We’re not typical of the charity sector. As you would expect from a charity focused on teaching start-up skills, we think and act like a business. Our programmes are run by entrepreneurs, for entrepreneurs.
In the last seven years, we’ve worked with over 3,500 diverse and impact founders and we want to do even more in the next five years. To support our founders, we have built a diverse network of partners, funders and investors who share our vision. We are currently developing our first impact investment fund in order to connect our existing support programmes with enterprise finance.
At Hatch, we value transparency, openness and collaboration (read more about it here. We practice open-book management and strategic decisions are made collaboratively so we can fully draw on the expertise, experience and networks we have.
Hatch is an organisation that loves experimentation and trying things out. We are influenced by lean management philosophy and we are constantly looking for ways to improve and innovate in our programmes and in the way that we work.
We are a small organisation with big ambitions to grow, offering the right candidate a great opportunity for personal and professional growth.
The Finance and Operations Manager has day-to-day responsibility for the organisation’s finances, working with colleagues from across the organisation to set and manage budgets, maintain accurate financial systems and provide accurate financial information to the CEO, staff team and Trustees whilst ensuring all financial and compliance requirements are met.
You will have appropriate finance qualifications (ACCA, CIMA, AAT), experience managing charity finances and be confident leading the finance function and a number of income sources.
As part of your operations side of the role, you will manage our 3 spaces at 55 East (https://55east.co.uk), ensuring they are safely and securely maintained both during COVID 19 while the team works remotely, and when we ultimately return to both work and deliver training from there. This will involve liaising with various internal and external stakeholders.
Cash and monitoring
- Developing and maintaining our Flexible Financial Model (our go-to document which tracks budgets and expenses)
- Developing and maintaining the cashflow forecast for Hatch Enterprise
- Working with programme managers to develop, maintain and report on project budgets for in line with internal and funder requirements
- Reconciling the Hatch bank feed
Bookkeeping and management accounts
- Appointing and managing the relationship with Hatch’s accountants (currently GBAC)
- Management and oversight of Hatch’s accountants during the monthly bookkeeping process and the production of monthly management accounts
Payroll and pensions
- Appointing and managing the relationship with Hatch’s payroll and pensions providers (currently Nest)
- Liaising with Hatch’s accountants to ensure the timely payment of salaries, bonuses, tax and pension contributions for new and existing Hatch staff
- Obtaining new starter information for Hatch joiners and facilitating their enrolment into company pension scheme
- Ongoing management of amendments to staff salaries, tax codes and pensions
Invoicing and Payments
- Managing invoices, purchase orders and staff receipts and expenses for Hatch Enterprise and ensuring the timely payment of suppliers, freelancers, contractors staff expenses
- Issuing invoices to Hatch Enterprise customers and entrepreneurs, and ensuring they are paid fully, on time and chased in the event of delayed or non-payment
- Ensuring accurate and up to date records are kept in Quickbooks at all times
- Liaising with accountants on a weekly basis
Audit, Annual Report and Accounts
- Appointing and contracting with Hatch’s auditors (currently Buzzacott)
- Working with auditors to conduct annual audit, respond to arising queries etc
- Working with accountants, Ops Director, CEO and Trustees to produce year end accounts
- Publication of annual report and accounts in accordance with Charity Commission and Companies House requirements
Budgeting and Strategic Financial Management
- Supporting the annual budget setting process, including gathering input from the team, allocating staffing, overheads and other discretionary budget lines
- Producing and supporting the CEO and Ops Director to review the management accounts
- Regular review of the Flexible Financial Model to refresh and reforecast Hatch’s financial position
- Producing quarterly financial reports for the Hatch board
- Ensuring compliance with Hatch financial policies
- Supporting Programme Managers with financial reports for funders as necessary
- Ensuring full cost recovery and prudent management of Hatch’s finances across the organisation
- Maintaining up to date knowledge of Companies House and Charity Commission and relevant legislative requirements and ensure Hatch remains compliant
- Developing and maintaining organisational calendar of key internal and external cycles, filing and other deadlines
- Filing accounts and maintaining up to date records and statutory submissions with Charity Commission & Companies House and others as relevant
- Ensuring Hatch Enterprise has sufficient insurance cover in place at all times to cover the needs of the organisation
- Maintenance and upkeep of 55 East Lounge, Kitchen and Studio, and liaison with all suppliers, contractors and maintenance staff
- Managing / subletting 55 East cafe as a commercial entity
- Ensuring the Health and Safety of all staff, freelancers, volunteers and visitors to 55 East
- Ensuring the Health and Safety of all staff, freelancers and volunteers while working from home or off-site
- Management of incoming phone calls, emails and post
- Proven professional experience (at least 2 years) in the finance function of a developing charity or small business
- Appropriate accounting qualification (AAT/CIMA/ACA/ACCA).
- Experience of Quickbooks (desirable) or other financial package (essential) together with excellent ability in Microsoft programmes, particularly Excel or Google Sheets
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and high attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Self motivated with initiative to anticipate and meet needs and identify ways to improve processes.
- High levels of integrity and ability to act confidentially.
We care about our people and giving them the things they need to succeed.
We have always been supportive of flexible working, which has become even more important in 2020. We have a cheerful, plant-filled office in Elephant & Castle, where everyone gets a desktop Mac and a good chair. For those working at home, we’ll cover the cost of a laptop stand and headphones. Although we can’t afford to pay you like the private sector, we can offer you a generous holiday allowance (29 days plus bank holidays) and a personal learning & development budget.
We believe business can be a force for good. Our mission is to increase diversity among business owners – and we want to do the same for our team. We are committed to representing a wider cross-section of society than a typical start-up, and we know that means we have to make an effort to understand and accommodate different people’s needs. If you’ve read this far, and you like the sound of the job, but you’re worried you don’t quite fit the requirements – we’d love it if you went ahead and applied.
Please email us your CV and a cover letter outlining why you are you interested in this job, and what you would draw on to meet the demands of the role.
Send these to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Finance and Operations Manager Application” as the email subject line by 9am on Monday 26th October 2020.
If you have any questions or need any help with your application, please drop us a line via email@example.com. (Recruiters will be politely turned away).