Letter from Dirk Bischof, CEO
At Hatch, we empower underrepresented entrepreneurs from across the UK to imagine, launch and grow sustainable and impactful businesses through tailored support, community and partnerships. We offer world-class support to entrepreneurs, mainly through our courses and workshops.
We’re not typical of the charity sector. As you would expect from a charity focused on entrepreneurship – helping people to start and grow their businesses – we think and act like a business. Our programmes are run by entrepreneurs, for entrepreneurs.
We’re one of the fastest growing enterprise support organisations. Since 2014, we’ve grown our revenue to £850K annually, something that takes the average social enterprise at least fifteen years. Over the last 12 months we have grown 60% allowing us to serve so many more founders through one of the most challenging times in recent history as we dealt with the pandemic, mass business closures and came face to face with inequity in our society highlighted by #BlackLivesMatter. Against this backdrop, we were able to not only double down on our mission to support those founders hardest hit by the pandemic, we were able to scale our services across the UK being previously only active in Greater London.
Now we’re looking at our next big milestones: Passing the million turnover mark in 2022 and delivering 25,000 enterprise support opportunities for underrepresented founders by 2025. These are deliberately ambitious targets – we like that it scares us a bit!
At Hatch, we value transparency, openness and collaboration. We practice open-book management e.g. transparent pay, employee access to management accounts and strategic decisions are made collaboratively within the Team so we can fully draw on the expertise, experience and networks we have.
Hatch is an organisation that loves experimentation and trying things out. We are influenced by lean management philosophy, and we are constantly looking for ways to improve and innovate in our programmes and in the way that we work.
We are a small organisation with big ambitions to grow, offering the right candidate a great opportunity for personal and professional growth.
Hatch’s work has been recognised in recent years with several accolades, including:
- Being featured in the NatWest SE100 Index 2020 as one of the top 100 social enterprises in the UK, as well as being a finalist for the same awards in 2019.
- Winning the 2017 Enterprising Britain Awards in the ‘Building Enterprise Skills’ category for Hatch’s incubator programme.
- Shortlisted for the 2017 Lord Mayor’s Dragon Awards in the category of ‘Community Partner’ for our work with Deutsche Bank supporting over 50 mission driven businesses in South London.
- Salary: £22, 950 – £27,000 with scope for salary progression
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Hours: Full Time (typically 09.30-17.30 but with flexibility)
- Location: Elephant & Castle / Remote
- Responsible To: Operations Director
- Application Deadline: 9am Monday 18th October
- Interview Dates: 1st Interviews w/c 25th October, 2nd Interviews w/c 1st November
Do you love keeping things organised and running smoothly? Do you have an eye for spotting ways things could be done more simply? Are you happiest developing and managing systems that help people and teams do work they love more efficiently and effectively? Then you could be the Operations Officer we are looking for!
Hatch is on the cusp of a growth spurt; there are busy and exciting times ahead with ambitious goals and big projects in the pipeline to triple the size of the team and provide 25,000 enterprise support opportunities to underrepresented founders in the next 5 years.
As a team we’ve adapted to home working in the last 18 months and now we’re adapting again to fully flexible, hybrid working. We’re excited about experimenting with systems and processes to support this new way of working for our growing team. We need someone who can sprinkle some magic on our world – and by magic we mean hard work and a positive approach to introducing effective and efficient tools and ways of working to support the Hatch team to excel and to have fun while delivering the best outcomes for underrepresented entrepreneurs.
As our Operations Officer, you will be central to ensuring that as we grow we prioritise team happiness, effectiveness and efficiency. By spotting and fixing problems before they arise, and by looking after the little things that matter a lot, you will be the glue that keeps the team together, and the oil that keeps everything running smoothly.
People: Owning our recruitment, selection onboarding and offboarding processes and the spaces in between, to ensure an awesome experience for everyone at Hatch from initial application to leaving card
- Managing recruitment platform subscriptions, posting and removing job descriptions
- Supporting the selection process, responding to applicant queries, completing a first filter of applicants, managing invitations to interview and sharing interview feedback
- Issuing contracts, checking paperwork and setting up HR files for new joiners
- Managing the induction process for new joiners, including introducing new staff to Hatch’s IT systems and ways of working and getting them set up to succeed
- Managing a positive offboarding process for all leavers including ensuring all data, documents, tools and equipment are returned to Hatch and exit interviews scheduled with relevant people
- Coordinating, hosting and taking notes at team meetings and other meetings as relevant
- Organising birthday cards, gifts and other opportunities to value and celebrate the Hatch team
Office: Maintaining, adapting and improving our physical workspace for efficient and effective flexible hybrid working
- Managing incoming phone calls, emails and post and giving a great first impression of Hatch
- Liaising with all office suppliers, contractors and maintenance staff including landlord, utilities suppliers, caretaker, alarm company etc
- Maintaining supplies of stationery, cleaning and other office supplies and ensuring everything is in good working order
- Working with the Operations Director to complete and update the office risk assessment and implement control measures
- Working with the Operations Director to ensure the Health and Safety of all staff, freelancers, volunteers and visitors to 55 East, including ensuring fire safety and first aid training and procedures are in place and updated for hybrid working
- Working with the Operations Director to ensure the Health and Safety of all staff while working from home or off-site, including reviewing and updating policies and procedures as relevant
Systems: Establishing and maintaining systems and processes to embed remote and hybrid working in a way that makes the best of both worlds work for everyone
- Owning all our IT, software and other subscriptions, ensuring we’re get the best packages for our needs and the best value for money
- Purchasing and maintaining IT and other office equipment and ensuring all members of the Hatch team have the equipment they need to operate efficiently and effectively
- Working with technical experts to support the scoping, development and roll out of new and improved IT systems that will support collaboration, communication, efficiency and effectiveness across Hatch
- Managing a process to clean up our Google Drive so we can all find what we need when we need it
Data: Ensuring all personal data is gathered, held and destroyed in compliance with GDPR, accessible to those who need it and used only for the purposes for which it is gathered
- Project managing the transition of all personal and other data from existing locations into a new, secure CRM system.
- Reviewing our GDPR data audit and safely destroying personal data that falls outside our retention schedule
- Efficient – you have great time and task management skills
Attention to detail – every email answered, every data point entered is your natural way of working
- Planning – you are organized, unflappable and are always looking a few steps ahead
- Prioritisation – it doesn’t put you off to have lots of stuff thrown at you at once, you like to be busy and are great at managing multiple projects and activities at once
- Solutions oriented – you can spot when something could be done better, faster, or more smoothly and won’t hesitate to change things to make your job and others’ easier
- Flexible and proactive – you are willing to get stuck into any task, however large or small
- Self- motivated – you are comfortable working independently and taking the initiative
- People oriented – you thrive in a team environment, build positive relationships and understand that this is how the work gets done
- Digital skills – you don’t need to be a tech whizz but you are comfortable learning – and teaching other people – how to make best use of google suite, and other cloud based tools
- It’s important that you have an interest in start-ups or not-for-profits. That’s what we do here at Hatch and we want you to share our passion for it!
We care about our people and giving them the things they need to succeed.
We have always been supportive of flexible working, which has become even more important in 2021. We have a cheerful, plant-filled office in Elephant & Castle, where everyone gets a desktop Mac and a good chair. For those working at home, we’ll provide you with a laptop and an allowance to get yourself set up comfortably. In the post-COVID world we’re experimenting with full flexibility to work from home or in the office as it suits you, but hope the whole team will be able to come together periodically.
- Flexible working – work from home or in the office and at the times that work best for you
- 37 fully flexible holiday days (including the 8 UK bank holidays)
- 3% employer pension contribution
- £500 home office set up allowance
- £750 annual budget for learning and development or wellbeing activities
- Paid time off for dedicated learning and development opportunities
- 4 days per year paid time off to volunteer
We believe everyone has potential. We are committed to increasing diversity among business owners, and we want to do the same for our team. If you’ve read this far, and you like the sound of the job, but you’re worried you don’t quite fit the requirements, we’d love it if you went ahead and applied.
We want to ensure that our team represents a wider cross-section of society than a typical start-up, and we know that means we have to make an effort to understand and accommodate different people’s needs. If you would require any reasonable adjustments to be made to support you to apply, interview or join the Hatch team please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please email us your CV and a cover letter of no more than 1000 words explaining:
- What excites you about Hatch as an organisation and about this role in particular?
- What do you think a well-run organisation feels like for the team? (you can base your answer on an organisation you’ve worked for or heard about or what you think ‘well run’ would look like if you don’t have an example to draw from).
- What would you do in this role that would really make an impact?
Send these to email@example.com with “Operations Officer Application – Your Name” as the email subject line by 9am Monday 18th October.
If you have any questions or need any help with your application, please drop us a line via firstname.lastname@example.org. (Recruiters will be politely turned away).