ABOUT HATCH ENTERPRISE
At Hatch, we empower underrepresented entrepreneurs from across the UK to imagine, launch and grow sustainable and impactful businesses through tailored support, community and partnerships. We offer world-class support to entrepreneurs, mainly through our courses and workshops.
We’re one of the fastest growing enterprise support organisations. Since 2014, we’ve grown our revenue to £850K annually, something that takes the average social enterprise at least fifteen years. Now we’re looking at our next big milestones: Passing the million turnover mark, and 10X’ing our impact. We want to do this by 2025. This is a deliberately ambitious target – we like that it scares us a bit!
We’re not typical of the charity sector. As you would expect from a charity focused on teaching start-up skills, we think and act like a business. Our programmes are run by entrepreneurs, for entrepreneurs.
In the last seven years, we’ve worked with over 5,000 underrepresented founders and we want to do even more in the next five years. To support our founders, we have built a diverse network of partners, funders and investors who share our vision. We are currently developing our first small grants fund to connect our existing support programmes with the financial support founders need to test and launch their ideas.
At Hatch, we value transparency, openness and collaboration. We practice open-book management and strategic decisions are made collaboratively so we can fully draw on the expertise, experience and networks we have.
Hatch is an organisation that loves experimentation and trying things out. We are influenced by lean management philosophy, and we are constantly looking for ways to improve and innovate in our programmes and in the way that we work.
We are a small organisation with big ambitions to grow, offering the right candidate a great opportunity for personal and professional growth.
Hatch’s work has been recognised in recent years with a number of accolades, including:
- Being featured in the NatWest SE100 Index 2020 as one of the top 100 social enterprises in the UK, as well as being a finalist for the same awards in 2019.
- Winning the 2017 Enterprising Britain Awards in the ‘Building Enterprise Skills’ category for Hatch’s incubator programme.
- Shortlisted for the 2017 Lord Mayor’s Dragon Awards in the category of ‘Community Partner’ for our work with Deutsche Bank supporting over 50 mission driven businesses in South London.
Head of Community Programmes
- Salary: £38,250 – £41, 625 with scope to increase over time
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Hours: Full Time (typically 09.30-17.30 but with flexibility)
- Location: Elephant & Castle / Remote
- Responsible To: Operations Director
- Responsible for: Community Programme Coordinator, Events Coordinator
- Application Deadline: 9am Monday 21st June 2021
- Interview Dates: Week commencing 5th July and week commencing 19th July
Are you passionate about supporting underrepresented entrepreneurs to imagine, start and grow businesses that can have a positive impact on the world? Are you comfortable leading a small team, managing a budget, and improving and innovating our support offering for entrepreneurs?
The Community Portfolio is the glue between our cohort-based programmes. It offers support that entrepreneurs can access whenever they need it on their journey, whether it’s a public masterclass on Google Analytics or an hour of skilled support from a volunteer on their financial model. The Community Portfolio includes activities such as our Pitch Practice Days, where founders can test out their business pitch to a panel of friendly Dragons for feedback and networking, and the Hatch Awards Fund that we are developing to provide small grants to entrepreneurs.
We’re looking for someone to own the vision and develop the content of this portfolio of work, working with the Community Programme Coordinator and Event Coordinator to deliver, oversee and improve the current activities, gather feedback from entrepreneurs, and develop new impactful support offerings, starting with the Hatch Awards Fund.
We’ve got big plans for the Community Portfolio to grow over the next few years and we’re looking for someone with passion and vision to help us to grow our offering, develop innovative new products and to support even more entrepreneurs. There is a lot of scope for this role to grow and change as Hatch does!
Community Portfolio Strategy and Design
- Developing and owning the Community Portfolio strategy, and ensuring all activities align with Hatch’s Theory of Change
- Gathering feedback from the Hatch community and the enterprise development sector to identify opportunities to evolve our existing activities and to pilot and roll out new support offerings
Programme and Budget Management
- Owning and overseeing the Community Portfolio including working with the team to schedule, promote, deliver, evaluate and continually improve the programme elements individually and collectively
- Developing and regularly reforecasting the Community Portfolio budgets, working closely with the fundraising team and finance manager
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Setting and tracking Community Portfolio KPIs and ensuring all elements meet and exceed Hatch’s own and our funders’ targets
- Collecting and analysing relevant data and stories and writing internal and funder reports, working closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager
- Leading on gathering quantitative and qualitative data and feedback and working with the Community Programme Team to identify opportunities for improvement and innovation
Community Development and Innovation
- Identifying, piloting and implementing opportunities to grow the Hatch community, to increase engagement and to add value to community members
- Identifying and implementing improvements to existing activities that increase their value for the Hatch community
- Researching, piloting and rolling out innovative new activities that meet the needs of entrepreneurs at every stage of their journey
- Leading on the design and implementation of our new Hatch Award Fund, including working with partner organisations to disburse funding
- Working with the fundraising team and programmes teams to design, fund, pilot and embed new support offers within the Community Portfolio and across Hatch programmes
Partnership Development and Management
- Working with the fundraising team, develop and maintain strong relationships with existing programme funders and delivery partners including representing Hatch at partnership meetings, and submitting regular reports in line with partner requirements.
- Working with the fundraising team develop new funder and partner relationships, including supporting proposal and budget development.
Leadership, Management and Coaching
- Managing and coaching the Community Portfolio team, including supporting their personal and professional development
- Working with the other Programme Managers to continually reflect on, develop and improve our approach to programme innovation, delivery, management and evaluation
- Other duties that may be required from time to time as part of a small, dynamic team
- Passionate about supporting underrepresented founders to start and grow businesses that will have a positive impact in the world
- An all rounder, able to develop a big picture vision and deliver on the details
- Excellent project management skills
- Confident with Excel/Google Sheets and writing and managing budgets
- Interpersonal team working skills and experience with internal and external influencing
- Works well on their own initiative and can be relied on to get the job done in a busy working environment
- Creative, innovative and cutting edge, ready to bring and to work with bold ideas, to test and learn from experiments.
- Entrepreneurial, not afraid to shoot for the stars, make mistakes and learn along the way
- Commitment to ongoing learning and personal development
- Experience launching or growing a campaign, product, programme or organisation
- Experience in network or community building
- Experience leading a team, charity or small business and supporting team members to develop and grow
We care about our people and giving them the things they need to succeed.
We have always been supportive of flexible working, which has become even more important in 2021. We have a cheerful, plant-filled office in Elephant & Castle, where everyone gets a desktop Mac and a good chair. For those working at home, we’ll provide you with a laptop and an allowance to get yourself set up comfortably at home. In the post-COVID world we’re experimenting with full flexibility to work from home or in the office as it suits you, but hope the whole team will be able to come together periodically.
- 29 days annual leave + 8 UK bank holidays
- £750 annual budget for learning and development or wellbeing activities
- Paid time off for dedicated learning and development opportunities
- 4 days per year paid time off to volunteer
We believe business can be a force for good. Our mission is to increase diversity among business owners – and we want to do the same for our team. We are committed to representing a wider cross-section of society than a typical start-up, and we know that means we have to make an effort to understand and accommodate different people’s needs. If you’ve read this far, and you like the sound of the job, but you’re worried you don’t quite fit the requirements or would need adjustments to be made to support you to apply, interview or join the Hatch team – we’d love it if you went ahead and applied.
Please email us your CV and a cover letter of no more than 1000 words explaining:
- What excites you about Hatch as an organisation and about this role in particular?
- How would you go about designing a new support offering for entrepreneurs within the Community portfolio?
- What would you do in this role that would really make an impact?
Send these to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Head of Community Programmes Application – Your Name” as the email subject line by 9am Monday 21st June 2021
If you have any questions or need any help with your application, please drop us a line via email@example.com. (Recruiters will be politely turned away).